Character References - how useful are they?

Notifications OFF

Luluzoo

Member since
September 2026

1 post

I've been asked to give a character reference for the pre-sentencing report of a close family member, who has plead guilty to possession.

I know other family members are giving references, but I feel a little conflicted. I really just want to stay out of the whole situation, as it doesn't feel right for me to get involved in a legal proceeding.

However, I am quite worried about his long-term partner, who is extremely sweet and I have been very close to since I was young. The couple don't have any children and there's no family nearby as they moved to a new area of the country a few years ago. All of his (partner's) friends in the area are very new and I don't think hes told anyone what's going on. If my family member were to get jail time, I'm worried his partner would become very isolated indeed.

So basically I'm asking how useful these character references really are. If I thought it would really help to avoid jail time, I will write one for his partners benefit. If it's just a 'nice to have' I might sit this one out.

Posted Thu September 17, 2026 10:03amReport post

6789

Member since
May 2025

289 posts

I would write it and let the solicitor decide whether to use it; they won't waste the courts time with unnecessary material. A few good character refs can have a helpful impact, definitely.

Posted Thu September 17, 2026 12:36pmReport post

Trist

Member since
June 2026

5 posts

Post deleted by user


Posted Thu September 17, 2026 8:23pm
Edited Sun September 20, 2026 12:00amReport post


This Forum is proudly supported by The National Lottery Community Fund      
Quick exit